Wednesday, July 12, 2006


Where's my Pigs Head???



I buy a new car, spend heaps on insurance, take it in to a mechanic to give it a quick check over.... As you can guess, I'm feeling a little broke at the moment. So my co-teacher informs me I have to throw a party for the new car.

Basically I have to throw what I can only dub a "Car Warming Party".

I was told that traditionally when someone bought a new car, they would throw a party and there would be a pig's head that people would bow in front of, praying for safe driving (not sure if they mean by the driver of the new car, or the other drivers on the road in general) and then shove money into the pigs mouth.

This pigs head then gets taken out and buried and the owner of the car gets to keep the money.

So I threw in $50 for the party and my co-teacher organized everything for me... but no pigs head.

I guess traditions are changing here in Korea. Still, there was some good tucker layed on and hopefully now, I've been given some extra protection when driving on these streets of mayhem.

4 comments:

Ms Parker said...

Japan?

Aren't you in Korea?

Ms Parker said...

Pleeeeeeeease be safe on the road....

Goulash said...

Well spotted Ms Parker.

Blog has now been amended to indicate publishers current location... but probably not current state of mind.
:)

Ms Parker said...

Now that you have a car.... I need a lift to the Busan airport on Saturday morning.

Pick me up at 7.

kidding...