Wednesday, July 05, 2006

So I've just spent my first two months in Korea and already this place is shaping up to be a country of fun and excitment. But first some background...

I spent the last 2 1/2 years living and "teaching" in Japan, and to keep things simple, I didn't like it much. I was a country boy living in a big, dirty city, working for a big, dirty company. But when I was offered a job in South Korea, teaching at a public girls school, I was in two minds about taking it.

Everyone I had talked to in Japan about Korea, told me it was a dirtier country where the people are more rude and pushy and not very friendly at all. Was I jumping from the frying-pan into the fire?

The answer to date is a resounding NO!!!

I have to admit, it may just be the "country" factor, living in a small village, but so far the people I've met here are some of the most friendly and hospitable people I've met on any of my travels. And they don't hide their feelings behind a fascade of polite indifference. The feelings here are genuine and apparent. If they like you, they let you know. If they don't, generally they leave you alone. But so far, the most common reaction they seem to have when faced with a Way-Gook (Foreigner) is one of true interest.

My time here started with a 9 day orientation where I experienced Korean culture, food, sports and entertainment at its best. It also started with 13 other new recruits who fast became close friends. Most of my experiences and adventures so far in this country has involved one or more of these friends.

Some of the more fun adventures so far, have involved challenging climbs up rugged mountains to gain some of the most spectacular views I've seen in a long time. To give you some idea, go check out my flickr site...
Goulash75

Hopefully, you'll check in every so often to see my adventures and discoveries in the land of 대헌민극 (Dae-Han-Min-Guk)

No comments: