Monday, April 09, 2007

Wow. What a weekend!

For the first time in many months, I actually spent Friday at home this weekend. It was nice just to sit back and chill and then sleep in the next morning. On Saturday, I got up, did some cleaning and went down to give Billie her first wash. There's something very relaxing about washing a vehicle in the warm sun. It makes me feel very content.

After this very domestic morning, my weekend got on track to its usual fun and games. I jumped on my bike and went for a slow ride, meandering my way in the general direction of Gwangju. Of course, now that my bike was nice and clean, I just had to find the only road in all of Korea that was washed out with mud!

I was looking for the perfect place for my PhotoChallenge picture, but it didn't present itself. The ride however was great. Following cherry blossom lined roads, beside streams and through fields. It really was the perfect day for being on my bike.

I finally got to the G by about 2:00pm and met up with my friends Carol and Mel. We went to the wonderful department store called Kumho World and Carol made Mel and myself extremely jealous by buying a brand new Nikon SLR digital camera. (WANT ONE!!!)

After this bit of fun, we headed into town and had a nice dinner followed by a stint at Speakeasy. It was a very quiet night, but still fun to hang out with friends. Unfortunately one of our friends, Lana wasn't feeling so well. I get the feeling she and her boyfriend are allergic to me or something... cause every time we plan to meet up, one or both of them get sick.

The next day, we had a nice relaxed day in town, then in the afternoon, we went to a beautiful park in the middle of town. Matt has made friends with some locals and is allowed to use this amazing, multi-storied pagoda building to host music nights and get togethers. We had a pot-luck lunch here and admired the amazing views from this hilltop building. Then after lunch, Matt and I played a few tunes on the guitars and Bryce joined in on the drums. For never having played practised together, I don't think we sounded too bad.

Following the late lunch, I jumped back on Billie and rode down to Mokpo. This time it was to meet up with my new friend Miji and to meet her Aussie boyfriend Tony. Unfortunately they weren't feeling so well either. I get the feeling something is going around. They went home fairly early, but that was ok, as I found out I had another friend who was sick and in hospital in Mokpo. Chad, one of the greatest guys in Korea, had caught pnumonia and has been admitted to hospital for a six day stint while he recovers.

After a quick visit to make sure he wasn't about to keel over and cark it right there, I finally jumped on my bike and rode, in the rather chilly night air, back to my apartment and a nice warm bed.

(PS... I'm crap... wrote this on Monday and forgot to post it. Was gonna do it when I had the photos uploaded. That can come later.)

2 comments:

Brent said...

It was an awesome weekend to just kick around.
I can't believe someone made a major purchase and it wasn't you!!!
Are you sick?

Ms Parker said...

Sounds like an awesome weekend. Do you guys have the feeling of a re-kindling of the first wonderful weeks here? That feeling of just loving Korea? Is it because it's spring? Or it's been a year? Or we're looking forward to going home (and coming back)....

xoxo

V