Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Rock-Climbing in the ROK

So Korea has rock-climbing... who knew?

I've only been a couple of times now (using ropes that is...), but I've decided I really want to get into this sport. It's a lot of fun and a great way to keep fit. And Ohhhhhhhhhhhh how unfit I am!

I know once upon a time I was able to do a one-armed chin-up with a full backpack on my back and another one in my other hand. I know I could do this, because I had to do it half way up a cliff without any ropes! Now I find I can't even lift my own body weight... using both hands!!!

It's time to start working on that.

So I've actually put some money towards it in the form of my own rock-climbing harness and boots and last weekend I went out and used them. I went to a beautiful waterfall with some friends.



One of the guys, Brandon, is quite good and he was able to set up the ropes and give us tips as we climbed. I was very happy with my first two climbs, not dropping off at all. My third climb wasn't so good.

It started with an under-hang, something I still haven't worked out how to do yet. It was very difficult and although I almost had it at one stage, I'd just run out of strength in my arms to pull me up. Then I kicked the rockwall and my toe went crack! That was it for the rest of the day... I'd stuffed my toe again!. I'm gonna have to strap it in the future.

Yesterday I found the Yeongam indoor rock-climbing center, but of course, I was there on the only day of the week that it's closed. I'm gonna have to go there more often. It looks great! I can't wait!

Here's some pics from the weekend...



The Cliffs




The Crew




Getting ready




Looking for holds




"Which way do I go? Oh yeah... UP!"




Almost there.




Changing Feet




All good. On the way back down.

No comments: